Not saying we aren’t proud of some of the stereotypes about how insanely sexy we are, how our families are awesome, and how we are great dancers, but guys, there’s a limit.
1. Are you “Spanish?”
Unless you genuinely would like to know whether I am Spanish, like from the country Spain, do not ask this. It’s really annoying that people refer to us as Spanish when that is just the language we speak.
2. You don’t look Latina — you’re so light-skinned/dark-skinned!
As a half-Brazilian, half-Middle Eastern woman, nothing pisses me off more than when people give me the wide-eyed omg-you’re-so-white-I–thought-you’d-look-like-Princess-Jasmine look. We come in all colors.
3. Where are you from? No, no, no, like where are you from, originally?
Well, originally I’m from New Jersey; how about you? Assuming that my “exotic look” obviously means I’m “foreign” is annoying.
4. Do you speak Mexican? Dominican? Brazilian? Etc.
Cher may have told her housekeeper in Clueless that she doesn’t speak Mexican and that’s because it just doesn’t exist! If you’re smart, you’re reading this like, “Duh!!” But trust me, people still ask this question.
5. OMG, I love Spanish food!!
I hope you mean some kickass seafood and paella, because I hate to break it to you, but mofongo, tacos, and maduros are not “Spanish food.”
6. I love Taco Bell and Chipotle!
Me too. What’s your point?
7. Your mother must be as gorgeous as Sofia Vergara!
Why do we all have to live up to this standard? Whyyyyyy?
8. Will you call me papi?
No, because you are not my dad.
9. Ooohhh, speak to me in Spanish!!
10. Can you cook?
Because all Latinas can cook, right?
11. OMG, I bet you own a Chihuahua — you have to, right?!
I was shocked to hear this, but one of our Mexican-American editors confirms this happened. Let that sink in.
12. I bet you come from a really big family.
Ummmm, I guess???
13. Wait, you don’t have kids?!
God forbid you meet a young Latina without a hubby and kids. Not only do we have to take shit from our abuelas about that, but you too?
14. Pssst. Pssst. Mami!!
Sorry, I haven’t seen your mother anywhere. I really hope you find her!
22 Signs You Grew Up Latino